Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DIYs

Little known fact... I am a major DIYer.  Much to the husband's chagrin, I am always doing something with our furniture, or walls, and I am constantly coming to him with ideas to update our very OLD rancher.  Most of the time he just looks at me or just takes the Lowe's list in silence and heads on his merry way across town. But lately I am on a repurposing kick. Probably because the husband is a career student and, well, I just quit my job in January to start an event company in a recession. (Maybe not the best idea, but it is going great!). I do have a repurposing addiction. No lie, since we started remodeling, August '10, I have built two headboards for the same bed; stained, stripped, painted, cried, painted, sanded and RE-PAINTED our kitchen cabinets; refinished our countertops twice (necessity! We are finally giving up on saving them and going to get new ones this fall) and painted numerous pieces of furniture multiple times.  SO needless to say some pieces may make multiple appearances. :P Anywho, I decided to start sharing my DIYs experiences on the blog. Now, I am not an explainer or an expert, but I do what works for me and usually that is what is cheapest! So enjoy the pics from my handy-dandy iPhone!

The Dresser (aka "Wannabe Dining Room Buffet")

Dresser from The Cozy Nest, I would like to mention that it was black originally and I painted it Carribean Blue. I guess I should have just kept it, but that's no fun! 5 coats later, because who primes?, it was black again.

I love this stuff! I bought this one last year and after a ton of projects I am only a third of the way down.

I took a small brush and added the copper details, I wanted it messy, but if it got out of hand I just used my finger and smoothed it out.  This was before I smoothed out this section.

Better look at the detail

The finished product. It looks a lot cuter and more detailed in person, but I couldn't find my real camera.  I have 2 farm house chairs that I am about to start on that will go next to the dresser and that other chair, will move to the sewing table we use as a desk in the dining room.

The pictures above the dresser are by Ken Bailey and I hunted them for a good year before I got them.  Better view here. I think they are fitting considering we have a lab and two schnauzers.


-Shalon


No comments:

Post a Comment